The World Affairs Council of New Orleans is gearing up for its annual round about town, with the Dining Internationally and PubNite events. If you ask me, these are the best bets in town, as you get to not only drink and dine with other smart, worldly people in a relaxed environment, but you also get to learn about the food, culture and tastes of another country in the meantime!
This year’s events are still in the works, but here’s what is hopefully on the horizon!
WACNO’s Dining Internationally program celebrates the diverse ethnic cuisines available in New Orleans. Local restaurants provide a special setting for members and friends of WACNO to meet and sample the flavors, smells, and cultural background of the restaurants home country.
- 9/20/2012 Pho Orchid (Metairie) (Vietnamese) (CONFIRMED!)
- The group enjoyed eight scrumptious dishes: Sup Mang Cua, Cha Gio (Egg roll), Goi Cuon (Spring Roll), Ca Kho To (Catfish Claypot) (Served with white rice), Bo Luc Lac (Shaking Steak Cubes) (Served with white rice), Tom Rang Muoi (Shrimp) (Served with white rice), Tofu and Vegetables (Vegetarian!) (Served with white rice), and Fruit tarts
- 1/17/2013 La Boca (AG) (Argentine) (CBD) (CONFIRMED!)
- The group enjoyed seven amazing courses: Bruschetta (Toast Points with Smoked Drum & Sweet Onion Jam), Empanadas (Beef, Raisin & Onion Served Baked Chicken, Olive, Corn & Mozzarella Served Fried), Chorizo de la Casa (Grilled Green Onion Sausage), Noqui “La Boca” (Potato Dumplings with Peas, Pancetta & Cream), Ensalada de Palmito (Romaine, Avocado, Hearts of Palm & Golf Sauce), Bife (choice of one: Vacio—14oz Flank, Chorizo—14oz NY Strip, Centro de Entraña—12oz Hanger), with sides of Grilled Asparagus, Mashed Potatoes & Fries “La Boca”, and all topped off with a delicious Dessert Sampler!
- 3/21/2013 Rio Mar (AG) (Spanish) (CBD) (CONFIRMED!)
- 4/18/2013 Ancora (AG) (Pizza/Italian) (Uptown/Freret) (Family Night!) (Tentative)
New, aspiring and current Members of the World Affairs Council of New Orleans meet each month for “PubNite,” an evening of fun and fellowship. Our evening is Dutch treat, casual, and inclusive and provides an opportunity for our members of all ages to get to know one another and discover the many interests — international, cultural, linguistic, geographic, civic, professional, academic — they have in common. Please join us!
- 10/4/2012 Santa Fe (Mid-City, Esplanade Ridge) (Theme: Tapas) (CONFIRMED!)
- 12/6/2012 Bombay Club (Holiday Celebration) (CONFIRMED!)
- 3/7/2013 Irish House (Theme: St. Patrick’s Day) (CONFIRMED!)
- 4/4/2013 Cafe Carmo (Theme: Brazilian Independence Day 4/21) (Tentative)